Dumping trash in unauthorized areas is considered a real problem by local governments in Collin County. Costs for clean-up can run into the thousands or even millions of dollars, and sites that are not cleaned up can lead to a number of health and safety concerns. Illegal dumping also fosters a negative image in a community. People are much more likely to dump on property where a dumpsite already exists.
Stopping illegal dumping makes good environmental and economic sense, and it is everyone's problem. Solve it by working together with your local law enforcement officials for a cleaner, healthier and safer community. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.
What you can do to help...
- Always dispose of your own litter properly and encourage others to do so as well.
- Do not transport unsecured debris in the back of a vehicle, always use a trap or other cover.
- Spread the word that illegal dumping is a crime.
- Organize volunteer clean-ups of illegal dumpsites.
- Do not pay roofing or other contractors until they present you with a landfill receipt showing that your waste was properly disposed.
- Report illegal dumping and illegal dumpsites.
If you know of an illegal dumpsite or witness someone
dumping litter or trash illegally, please get the following information
about the vehicle/persons:
- License plate number
- Color of vehicle
- Type of vehicle
- Description of person or persons illegally dumping
- What type of litter or trash they are illegally dumping
- Location of offense
Call our office at 972-881-3020 and speak with Deputy
Mark Shook or leave a voice message, call the North Central Council of
Governments Illegal Dumping Hotline at 1-888-335-DUMP, call the Collin
County Sheriff's Office at 972-424-4797, or call your local police department.
You may also report littering online
through the official Don't
Mess With Texas website or by downloading the printable
form and sending it via FAX or mail to the following address:
Texas Department of Transportation
Attn: Don't Mess with Texas
P.O. Box 149248
Austin, TX 78714
DO NOT APPROACH OR TRY TO APPREHEND THE ILLEGAL DUMPERS.