What is legal and where can I go to shoot off fireworks?
It is legal to discharge fireworks on your private property or on private property of another with the owner’s permission in the unincorporated areas of Collin County. This rule does not supersede a city’s ability to regulate the discharge of fireworks within 5,000 feet of their city limits.
Municipalities and Lakes
Most cities have ordinances prohibiting the sale, possession and discharge of fireworks within their city limits. Some larger cities can enforce certain ordinances within their extra territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) and may include the possession and discharge of fireworks. If you reside within the ETJ of a city in Collin County, please check with that city prior to discharging fireworks in their ETJ.
Possession and or discharge of fireworks on U.S. Corps of Engineer Property is illegal. This includes most parks and property adjoining Lake Lavon and Lake Ray Hubbard.
Always seek permission from landowners prior to discharging fireworks on private property.
Prohibited Use of Fireworks
- To explode or ignite fireworks within 600 feet of any
- a hospital other than a veterinary hospital,
- an asylum,
- a licensed child care center,
- or a public or private primary or secondary school or institution of higher education unless the person receives authorization in writing from that organization;
- To sell at retail, explode or ignite fireworks within 100 feet of a place where flammable liquids or flammable compressed gasses are stored and dispensed or 300 feet from above ground tanks;
- To explode or ignite fireworks within 300 feet of a place where fireworks are stored or sold;
- To ignite or discharge fireworks in or from a motor vehicle;
- To place ignited fireworks in, or throw ignited fireworks at, a motor vehicle;
- Retail fireworks stand operators cannot sell or offer to sell fireworks to children under the age of 16.
*Violation of fireworks rules may result in a fine of up to $500 per occurrence
- Use fireworks outdoors in a safe area, away from dry grass and buildings
- Follow the directions on the fireworks package carefully, with close adult supervision
- Keep a bucket of water, wet towels and a garden hose nearby
- Discard used fireworks in a bucket of water
- Use common sense